* Chairman, Sector Chief Council Aaron Tarver (Vacant)
Nuclear power accounts for approximately 20 percent of our nation’s electrical generation, provided by 100 commercial nuclear reactors licensed to operate at 62 nuclear power plants.
The sector includes:
- Nuclear power plants
- Non-power nuclear reactors used for research, testing, and training
- Manufacturers of nuclear reactors or components
- Radioactive materials used primarily in medical, industrial, and academic settings
- Nuclear fuel cycle facilities
- Decommissioned nuclear power reactors
- Transportation, storage, and disposal of nuclear and radioactive waste
The sector is interdependent with other critical infrastructure sectors:
- Chemical Sector, as a consumer of chemicals through the nuclear fuel cycle and at reactor sites
- Energy Sector, as a supplier of electricity to our nation's electrical grid
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector, as a supplier of nuclear medicine, radiopharmaceuticals, and in the sterilization of blood and surgical supplies
- Transportation Systems Sector, through the movement of radioactive materials.